Great Plains Offers Packing Tips for Moving Your Kitchen
When you’re getting ready to move, it makes sense to take the time to declutter, organize, and donate items you’re no longer using. If you’re looking for other ways to prepare, the expert movers at Great Plains Moving and Storage have put together this list of tips to help with packing your kitchen and other fragile items in your household.
- Start with the Right Supplies - You might think that using newsprint could save money, but in your kitchen, newsprint can leave ink on metals, plastic, and ceramic, affecting the quality of your dishes and cookware. We recommend packing paper, bubble wrap, or air packs to help keep delicate kitchen items safe and clean during transit.
- Make a Plan - One of our best packing tips for moving is to have an accurate idea of your moving schedule so that you can plan accordingly. You’ll need some kitchen supplies as you pack and get ready to move, and also in your first few days in your new home. Set aside a box for just the essentials you’ll need to keep with you: a few cutlery items, cups, plates, silverware, and anything else that can be used during those final days in the old home and first few days in the new home. This should be the last box you pack, and clearly marked so that you can easily identify and unpack it in your new space.
- Use Caution with Appliances - Your toaster, blender, food processor, coffeemaker, microwave, and other appliances are all delicate electronics. Be sure to pack up electric cords by winding them in loose loops around or next to the appliance, and secure the cord for packing and transit. Do not bend or fold cords; this can damage the cord for future use. Some small appliances can be disassembled for easier transit; unpacking will be easier if you label each box clearly with which parts for which appliances are inside.
- Layer Like Items - If you have dish sets, storage container sets, and other items that easily stack, you should still use packing paper or bubble wrap between each layer. Another of our best packing tips for moving kitchen items that’s important to bear in mind throughout this process is to use additional packing material if you’re not sure if an item will stay safe during transit. Not using adequate packing materials can cause chipping or cracking in glass, ceramic, stoneware, and other kitchen items.
- Use Kitchen Materials to Pack With - Remember that you can also use kitchen materials to help keep kitchen items safe. Kitchen towels, oven mitts, and other cloth and padded items can help keep kitchen items safe while you pack them with your kitchen supplies. Mark each box of your kitchen items “fragile” and “this side up”, using an extra layer of packing material on the bottom and top of the box.
Contact Great Plains Moving and Storage
As a leader among moving companies in Colorado, Great Plains Moving and Storage can help with all your household moving needs, including packing, unpacking, storage, and relocation services, and give you all the best packing tips for moving. If you’re getting ready to move into or out of the Brighton, CO, Denver, CO, or Colorado Springs, CO area, contact our local experts today to get started with
Moving Tips from the Top Movers in Denver, CO & Brighton, CO
Summer is a popular time of year for booking moving companies, and often our busiest season. With kids off of school, more leniency with vacation time from employers, and warm weather, many families and businesses choose the summer months to schedule their relocation. While these factors might direct you to choose the summer months as well, the movers in Denver CO know that there are other considerations as well, and we want you to be prepared for your next move.
· Scheduling Concerns - Because the summer is our busy season, you should try to be out in front of the pack as much as you can. Allow your move as much lead time as possible and contact our movers in Denver CO to schedule your move as soon as you know your timeline. We work hard to accommodate your timeline, but that can be more challenging during the summer months.
· Weather Concerns - While summer in Colorado tends to be fair weather, if you’re scheduling an interstate move or a cross-country move, it’s smart to understand the weather patterns of your new home, as well. Summer months can bring wildfires, mudslides, or tornadoes in some parts of the country, and our moving coordinators can help you make a plan for any inclement weather.
· Safety Concerns - Moving in high heat or high humidity is a concern for our own team as well as you and your family or your business. If packing and moving are scheduled for a time when the weather is very hot or humid, it’s important for everyone to stay hydrated, take regular breaks, and stay out of the sun when possible.
It's Moving Season!
On the flipside, if you’re thinking of moving during the winter, there are scheduling, weather, and safety concerns to consider them as well. At Great Plains Moving and Storage, our local experts can walk you through all the factors that might impact your move, no matter what season it is. Our moving specialists can help you schedule the best movers in Denver CO to help your family or business relocate. We’ll work with you to create a moving plan that’s customized for your individual budget, timeline, and services.
Contact Great Plains Moving and Storage
Moving in the summer can work well for many families and businesses and Great Plains Moving and Storage is happy to help you make a plan for your summer move. Contact our friendly representatives today to get started with your free quote.
Downsizing Tips from Packers and Movers in Brighton, CO & Colorado Springs, CO
Families of all shapes and sizes experience the need to downsize, whether that’s because the kids have all gone to college, you and your spouse has retired, you’re starting out on your own, or you’re moving to an urban area with smaller housing units. If you’re planning a move into a smaller space, there are plenty of ways to make both your move and your unpacking, organizing, and settling in easier. As a leader among moving companies in Denver, CO and Brighton, CO, our expert packers and movers have put together this list of tips to help.
- Make a Floorplan - Moving into a smaller space doesn’t have to feel like it’s taking away your ability to do daily tasks, hobbies, or activities. Get a layout of your new space and consider the functionality of each room. Plan where to place larger pieces of furniture so that you know in advance that you have space to sleep, cook, host, and hobby how you want.
- Downsize Your Belongings - One problem our packers and movers have witnessed with clients who are downsizing is the desire to bring the same amount of stuff in your current home into your new, smaller home. Make a point to purge any duplicate items in your kitchen, linen closet, and clothing. Not only does moving less stuff make your move easier, but it will make settling into your new home more comfortable, as well.
- Get the Right Resources - Smaller spaces can be just as functional as larger spaces if you bring the right resources. Closets can double in capacity if you add extra shelving. Consider hanging some of your storage needs on the walls, like a jewelry organizer, a ceiling-hanging pot rack, or a filing rack for mail and paperwork.
Expert Moving and Storage Services
At Great Plains Moving and Storage, our packers and movers have helped families with all kinds of moves, including cross country moves, apartment moves, retirement home moves, interstate moves, and more. Whether you’re moving across the street or across the country, our experts can provide the service you need to feel comfortable and safe throughout your transition.
Contact Great Plains Moving and Storage
If you’re ready for your next residential relocation, make sure to contact us online or by calling the packers and movers that Colorado families trust at (720) 487-9809. We’ll get started by working to understand your needs and provide a free, no-obligation quote.
Tips from Local Movers in Denver, CO on Moving into a Rental Space
Moving into a new rental unit can be exciting, as you get to experience a new neighborhood, a new unit, and build a relationship with a new landlord. When you’re a renter, you also want to be mindful of your security deposit, and how every activity in your home can affect your ability to get that deposit back. Renters can also be charged upon move-out for items that are damaged in the unit during your lease. Move-in and move-out are prime times to be the most careful of activity in your unit and how to reduce any damage that might take place.
- Protect Your Walls, Doors, & Floors - When your friends and family attempt to move your heaviest furniture items, they might bump into door frames, ledges of steps, or corners of walls as they navigate the home. Make sure to protect your furniture and your rental unit during the moving process. The professional local movers Denver CO trusts most at Great Plains will take additional measures to protect your heavy furniture, like using furniture padding and cloths on individual items, and walking the path to and from the truck to remove any obstacles and be sure the moving team can be safe.
- Work Together - Don’t be afraid to ask for help during a move; moving is hard work, and it’s important that you take good care of your health and your household by getting the assistance you need. Especially when moving furniture, use the buddy system (or three or four buddies!) to make sure that no one strains themselves. The Great Plains local movers in Denver CO will also bring moving tools like dollies and lifts to help with those heavy items.
- Use a Professional Moving Team - The local movers in Denver CO at Great Plains can help move your entire household, or just your furniture, or just your heaviest items—it’s up to you! Your moving plan can be fully customized to meet your needs. But as a renter, bear in mind that getting professional help can save you money and time in the long run.
Contact Great Plains Moving and Storage
If you’re getting ready to move or change rental units, the local movers Denver CO and Brighton CO residents use most are here to help you. Contact us today to get started with your free quote, and learn more about why we are considered a leader among moving companies in Denver, CO and Brighton, CO.
Tips from Expert Movers in Denver, CO on How to Move Safely & Avoid Injuries
At Great Plains, we’ve been called in to assist with all types of situations. We’ve seen everything from couches stuck in stairwells, to fitness equipment left in the driveway because it didn’t fit into someone’s vehicle. We understand that using a DIY approach for moving might seem like the cheapest option—but when you take into account the risk to yourself, your family and helpers, and your household items that unprofessional moving entails, the price might be higher than you think.
These are the most common moving mistakes that can impact health and safety:
- Wearing the Wrong Attire - Our professional teams of movers in Denver CO know that the number one most important factor for safety is secure footing. That means closed-toed shoes, in good condition, with sturdy tread. Even if you can skip backward in flip flops, bearing the extra weight of furniture and boxes makes it more likely that you’ll misstep during a move. Take good care of yourself and your items by wearing the right shoes.
- Lack of Tools or Resources - Our professional movers in Denver CO make frequent use of dollies and lifts, as well as knee braces, back braces, and anything else that helps. If you don’t have access to these tools and you’re worried about moving a particular item, it’s better to be safe and get the help you need from Great Plains than to try it on your own and risk damage to your health or your home.
- Controlling the Environment - When your friends and family come over to help you move, it can feel hectic or chaotic as everyone pitches in. It’s important to keep everyone on the same page by having a strategy for how to pack your vehicles or moving van, and knowing who will be moving items through hallways and doorways in advance. Our movers in Denver CO and Brighton CO know that having a separate, safe space for kids and pets is a must-have, and being in communication with all members of the team helps to keep everyone safe and happy.
Contact Great Plains Moving and Storage Today!
At Great Plains, we’re happy to help you and your family make your next move no matter what the right moving plan is for you. We can provide comprehensive packing, moving, installation, unpacking, and debris removal services; we can also give you a quote to just come help with a few items of furniture, or anything else. Our trusted movers in Denver CO are here to make sure you and your family remain happy and healthy during your move. Contact us today to learn more about our residential moving services and why we are considered one of the top moving companies in Colorado.
Brighton, CO & Denver, CO’s Choice for Long Distance Moving Companies
Interstate and long distance moves can feel harder to plan because there are more logistics involved. Planning your move, your travel, and planning for the needs of members of your household can be complex, and you’ll also need to make sure your new home is ready on move-in day. Working with the best long distance moving companies in Brighton, CO and Denver, CO can mean the difference between taking on all the logistics and labor yourself, or having a partner in making your move easier.
Great Plains Moving and Storage is one of the most trusted long distance moving companies around. Our expert movers have helped hundreds of families just like yours move into and out of Colorado, providing cost-effective and comprehensive packing, moving, and storage services, as well as logistical support. When you work with us, you’ll have an expert on your side who knows the ins and outs of interstate moving.
Schedule Your Move Early
One of the most important ways to make your move easier is to set your timeline early, so that everyone involved can keep to the same schedule. Other long distance moving companies might offer limited availability, with interstate moves only offered at certain times of the month or week. Great Plains will help you build a customized moving plan that takes into account your individual timeline and your budget, making sure you get the services you need at the right time and for the right price.
Make a Move Day Plan & Checklist
Making a move day plan can also help streamline your big move. Planning ahead for pets, children, travel, overnight stays, and packing bags with any of your immediate needs can relieve some of the pressure you might feel for your move. Long distance companies with experience and a history of top-quality service like Great Plains Moving and Storage can offer move day checklists and other tools you can use to stay on track.
Partner with Great Plains Moving and Storage
If you’re getting ready for your family’s next big move, get to know our efficient and effective long distance moving and storage services. Contact Great Plains Moving and Storage today to learn more.