Great Plains Moving and Storage Offers Packing & Moving Tips in Brighton, CO & Denver, CO
Packing for your move is a big job and working with professional moving companies can help make the situation easier. We can even provide you with a free quote. We have movers and packing specialists who can do the packing for you and ensure that all your items are packed securely. However, if you prefer to do it yourself, here are some helpful packing and moving tips.
- Make sure your boxes are in good shape. A worn out box can rip, making your valuables prone to damage.
- Start with packing out of season items and items that are used infrequently. Leaving everything to the last minute can be stressful, so pack the items you don't use on a regular basis early.
- Limit the weight of your boxes to under 50 pounds to make handling them easier.
- Don't under-fill or over-fill your boxes. You don't want items rattling around in your box but you also don't want a box that is too heavy or bulging.
- Wrap all of your fragile items carefully and provide plenty of cushioning around them in the box to ensure nothing gets broken.
- Wrap things with sharp edges, such as mirrors with bubble wrap and tape.
- Make sure drawers are empty of breakable items or liquids that could spill. Soft, lightweight items, like socks and underwear can be left in the drawers. Be sure to tape the drawers shut.
- Pack similar items together. Don't put your china in the same box as your cast iron skillet.
- Keep matching parts together. Curtain rod hangers, mirror bolts and hardware items should be put in plastic bags and taped to the item to which they belong.
- Write clearly what room each box belongs in so your movers can make sure everything ends up in the correct place. Consider using colored post-it notes and designate a color for each room. Just be sure you tape the post-it notes to each box.
- Write a detailed list of what is in each box and tape it to the side. You'll be glad you did when you are looking for particular items.
- Make a special mark on the boxes that are to be opened first when you arrive at your destination.
Need More Help with Packing and Moving Tips?
If you still have questions after reading through all of these packing and moving tips, contact Great Plains Moving and Storage today to see how we can help!