Five Weeks Before Moving Day:
- Contact Great Plains to make arrangements for moving day.
- Start using things that you won't be moving such as frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
- Begin to take an inventory of what you are planning on moving.
- Locate all auto licensing and registration documents.
Four Weeks Before the move:
- Obtain a change of address kit from the post office and complete as directed.
- Arrange transportation for your pets and plants.
- Contact your services companies (gas, electric, oil, water, telephone, cable and trash) to disconnect/connect services at your old and new addresses. Make sure you keep your utilities connected until moving day.
- Start to pack items that you wont be using in the next month (seasonal decorations, camping gear, items in your attic and basement etc.)
- Plan a garage sale to get rid of any items you wont be taking with you.
Three weeks before the move:
- Make travel arrangements and hotel reservations for your moving trip. Don't make airline reservations for the same day you are moving. House closings are often delayed and other unexpected situations can arrive.
- Collect important papers such as insurance documents, wills, deeds, and stocks. Put these items in a safe place so they don't get lost during the move.
- Arrange to close accounts at your local bank and open accounts in your new city.
Two weeks before the move:
- Have your car serviced for the trip.
- Contact your moving account manager to confirm all arrangements for your move.
One week before the move:
- Take your pets to the vet for necessary immunizations. If your pet is flying, make sure you have copies of their heath records.
- Drain gas and oil from power equipment such as lawn mowers and leaf blowers.
- Defrost your refrigerator and freezer.
- Organize and set aside things you will be taking with you in the car. Make sure you include a box of personal items that you will need immediately upon arrival.
- Settle any business you may have locally, return library books, DVDs, etc
- Record all utility meter readings.
- Make arrangements for pets and small children to ensure they stay safe on moving day.
- Call your moving account manager and make sure that all last minute details are taken care of. Also get your truck driver's contact information just in case.
- Call your Moving account manager to confirm final delivery arrangements.
- Have a floor plan drawn out or in mind to expedite the unloading process.
- Check off items from the inventory as they are unloaded, noting their condition.